Cancer IO is a large Business Finland Health program’s public-private partnership, which builds societal, research and healthcare ecosystem to facilitate capture and development of cancer immunotherapies in Finland. The network is comprised of 28 partners, including international pharma industries, Finnish small and midcap companies, Finnish hospitals and cancer centers, patient organizations and the universities of Turku and Helsinki. Cancer IO provides a broad interface between academia, hospitals and pharma businesses to boost research, innovation, cancer awareness, health care & regulatory development, and ultimately, to bring new transformative therapies faster, more efficiently and with more power to the cancer patient.
Cancer IO program is coordinated from the Cancer IO office, currently run by three active cancer scientists. The Office’s work is supported by the program’s management team. The office takes care of all administrative tasks, from email correspondence and scheduling meetings to organizing events, writing reports and managing collaborations. The office seeks a Scientific Communicator to strengthen the Cancer IO communications and outreach. Our outreach includes illustrated & narrated scientific and medical topics, disseminated via audiovisual and digital vehicles, social media platforms and traditional means to the experts and lay audience. The outreach media will be developed in close collaboration with cancer scientists, industry experts, oncologists, patient organizations and external service providers.
What we offer:
- A vibrant working environment at the core of the ongoing transformation in the oncology field
- Learning experience through working with diverse set of health stakeholders across academia, hospitals and industry
- Opportunity to develop visual and digital communication platforms with wide outreach
- Opportunity to develop your skills in managing complex networked projects and administration
- Opportunity to contribute to creation of a new health ecosystem that will drive a change in the society, research and cancer health care
What we are looking for:
- MSc/PhD (or BSc with experience from the field)
- Capability to communicate complex health matters to broad audience
- Well-organized team player with excellent communication skills
- Previous experience in design and creation of simple visuals (illustrations, infographics, videos)
- Experience in graphics design programs (Illustrator / Photoshop) and social media/ simple web design
- Versatility – job involves wide variety of tasks
- Excellent / native in Finnish, fluent in English
- Background in biology or health sciences is valued but not necessary
The initial contract will be for two years starting at your earliest convenience (with a 6 months trial period). Extension of contract is possible. The salary is in accordance with the University salary system (other staff).
The position is located in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Helsinki and Research Programs Unit via affiliation with Dr Klefstrom’s group (https://klefstromlab.com).
Applications must include a CV and an application letter that clearly describes how your profile matches with the candidate requirements and describe also your most relevant previous achievements in the field. Also include names and contact information of 2 references. The application, together with the required attachments, must be submitted through email to cancerio-office (at) helsinki.fi. Use the subject line: Scientific Communicator. Deadline for applications is October 10th, 2020. For further inquiries regarding the position please contact cancerio-office (at) helsinki.fi.